Tuesday, July 28, 2009

New Digs



We moved the pups into the x-pen on Sunday. They were a little stressed initially but after Risk got into the pen with them, they decided the new digs were A-OK. As you can see from this photo, the x-pen is actually two connected pens with a huge potty area, small sleeping area and benches so Risk has free acess to the pups.

They are having fun with more space and toys in the x-pen but particularly love being turned loose in the dining room while I clean the pen. Of course, before I clean all they want OUT but once I put them out, inevitably one or two want back IN. This crew is pretty determined so I usually have "help" while I'm cleaning. I don't worry too much because we clean with vinegar and hydrogen pyroxide; there is nothing to hurt them and the vinegar makes them sneeze so they head back to their buddies shortly.

At the moment, the litter's nickname is "the little pissers." I'll let you guess why but suffice it to say that I knew we were moving them early. I have found that the need to stay clean does not start to develop until 3 1/2 weeks at the earliest. At that point, the pups begin moving away from their sleeping/play areas to find a good potty spot. Before then, well they just go when they need to. Hence their new nickname.

The pups are growing well though their weight gains slowed with the move. More space means more calories burned. However, a few have hit 4 pounds and everyone is over 3 by a bit.

I've posted some new video of their new home and playing in the dining room, as well as photos of them playing. When they first wake up, it is a melee. They mill in a mass, grabbing each other by the ears, muzzle, tail or anything else they can get a hold of. They make me laugh!

No comments: